Sunday, July 4, 2010

Week One: Roughing It

Weight: -3 lbs

Activity Points: 23

Wii Fit Plus Time: 2 Hours

Well, folks, it’s been an interesting first week. I stuck to the Weight Watcher’s point system and worked out three times on the Wii Fit Plus, as well as went camping for the weekend. If you’re wondering why I threw that in there, then you try setting up and breaking down a tent in 97 degree weather and NOT call it a workout.

The Wii Fit Plus is a very FUN way to exercise. There is a lot of variety in what you can do. Aerobics, Yoga, Strength Training, and Balance exercises. What I found very amusing was the estimation of my Wii Fit age each time I started up. On the first workout, I came in at 27. WHOO HOO!!!! The next day when I tried unsuccessfully to stand on one foot for 30 seconds, I came in at 48. So I aged 21 years in two days. The third time I was 34. Alrighty then. My advice to new users of the Wii Fit Plus: Don’t put too much stock in your Wii Fit age.

Also, you may want to ignore the little jabs at your physique it likes to take. For instance, when you weigh in, it announces “THAT’S OVERWEIGHT” and plays a little music sting that sounds like a game show loser riff. Then it turns your Mii character to a little chubby version of yourself. The character then looks down at its own waist then back up at you with a sad face. Nice. Thanks.

And each time you get back on the board for your next exercise, a little surprised voice says “OH”, as if to say “Oh, holy crap you’re a fatty.” But don’t worry. It means it in the nicest possible way.

And during my camping weekend, I sweat out the equivalent of eight 7-11 Big Gulps. So yes, it counts.

The Weight Watcher Points Plan was, as I have experienced in the past, my friend and my enemy all at once. The plan is UBER-flexible so that I love. During my week I was able to eat two chili dogs (turkey dogs) as well as a Sonic burger and a couple of Chips Ahoy cookies. Being able to eat something sinful and still stay on the plan helps me to say no to other not-so-healthy things. I had the strength to pass up the S’Mores when camping knowing I’d much rather eat the chili dog.

There are also some surprisingly yummy recipes like my favorite, Picadillo Egg Rolls. 2 points each and they’re like a little Cuban taco! Love them! Also, I was able to put in my own recipe for a quiche (substituting the pie crust for phyllo dough) and each slice is only 3 points.

What has always vexed me about Weight Watchers is that for the first couple of weeks, I’m CONSTANTLY thinking about food. Because I have to be aware of every point that goes in my mouth, I have to think about how many I have left for the day or the week. “Let’s see, if I eat this piece of cheese, I’ll only have 8 points left for dinner. That’s just one Lean Cuisine. It’s not enough! I’ll be foraging for chips by midnight!”

I get 21 points a day (and if you’re a WW subscriber who’s reading this you know I’m over a certain weight mark so please don’t tell!) Plus, an extra 35 points for the week to use any way or day I see fit. It may sound like a lot, but trust me, they go fast when you grab that dinner roll off the table. My advice if you can do it: drink the 8 glasses of water a day if you can (even if you can only handle 4 or 5, just drink more than you normally do) and skip the white bread. I know you love it as much as I do but remember you can have it again someday. Just get yourself off of it for now.

All in all, I stayed within my points, lost three pounds and was still able to enjoy some decadence. Next week will be tough because I have a lot of family coming to visit so let’s see how I do. I know the first week you tend to lose more so I’m not expecting to lose three more pounds in the second but wouldn’t that be nice? But even if I did, my Wii Fit Plus would still say “THAT’S OVERWEIGHT!”

1 comment: